Match Report

Match 3

Fiji 2:1 India
Goals: 0-1 Irungbam Surkumar Singh (10'), 1-1 Luke Vidovi (25'), 2-1 Esala Masi (61')

Kick-off time: 16.00 local time (09.30 IST / 06.00 CET)
Venue: Post Fiji Stadium, Suva
Attendance: 11.000+

Simione Tamanisau; Lorima Dau, Alvin Avinesh, Luke Vidovi, Apisalome Turuva, Petero Daunisaka; Esala Masi (??' Taniela Waqa), Pita Baletoga (65' Josaia Bukalidi), Salesh Kumar (??' Stephen Morrell); Kiniviliame Naika (??' Avinesh Swamy), Osea Vakatalesau (65' Thomas Vulivuli)

1-VP Satish Kumar; 17-Irungbam Surkumar Singh, 4-Selwyn Fernandes, 8-Naduparambil Pappachan Pradeep, 3-Habibur Rehman Mondal; 19-Shylo Malswam Tulunga (??' 11-Subhas Chakraborty), 6-Shanmugam Venkatesh, 5-Debabrata Roy; 18-Vimal Pariyar (??' 15-Sukhwinder Singh), 10-Sunil Chetri, 14-Manjit Singh (??' 9-Surajit Bose)

Referee: Peter O'Leary (New Zealand)

Yellow Card: Lorima Dau (??' Fiji)

Match Report:
India go down to Fiji
| IndianFootball.Com | 14.08.2005
India lost it's third and last match in Fiji, while going down to the Fiji national team in Suva. The Indian team got a superb start, as Irungbam Surkumar Singh hammered a 35m-freekick sensationally into the net to get India the lead in the 10' minute. The freekick was awarded to India, after captain Shanmugam Venkatesh was brought down. The early lead gave the Indian team some confidence and the 'Bhangra Boys' started to get controll the match in-front of huge local support.
Although being one goal down, Fiji got back to the match slowly and created some good chances through Esala Masi, Lorima Dau and Luke Vidovi. The Islanders finally found the target in the 25' minute, when Luke Vidovi got past India goalkeeper VP Satish Kumar. Vidovi headed the ball into the goal, after a defensive error in the Indian box occured following a corner-kick.
The equaliser gave Fiji a boost and they took over controll from a shocked Indian team. The match turned into an offensive one with many midfield action, as both teams tried hard to get the lead.
Vimal Pariyar nearly scored for the Indian team, while having a golden opportunity in the 38' minute but was denied by Fiji goalkeeper Simione Tamanisau.
India increased pressure in the second half and created chance by chance, but failed to utilise the dominance. In the 61' minute Fiji broke into the Indian half and converted a counter-attack through experienced capatain Esala Masi. This goal came as surprise, as everyone was expecting India to take the lead any moment. Although being one goal down, the Indians continued to combine well and held up the pressure on the Fiji defence, but didn't find the final touch.