back to Pre-Quarterfinals

Mohammedan Sporting Club 1:3 East Bengal Club

Kick-off: 19.00 IST

Goals: 0-1 Ashim Biswas (21'), 1-1 Kalia Kulothungan (45+3'), 1-2,1-3 Edmilson Marques Pardal (51',66')


Mohammedan Sporting: 31-Sheikh Nasibul Haque; 2-Rajib Ahmed (88' 30-V Prem Kumar), 3-Ayeni Bedemi Daniel, 6-Sheikh Azim, 4-Dipak Singh; 20-C Shameel, 32-Adebayo Tokunbo Adewusi, 14-Basudeb Mondal, 27-A Jyothi Kumar; 10-Paul Macjames Nwachukwu (74' 11-K Shyju), 19-Kalia Kulothungan (90+4' 24-Nirapada Mondal)

East Bengal: 24-Subrata Pal; 27-Irungbam Surkumar Singh, 3-Majekodumni Bolaji (83' 17-Abdul Samed Okocha), 2-Muttath Suresh, 29-Saumik Dey; 19-Syed Rahim Nabi, 26-Mehraj din Wadoo, 7-Jayanta Sen (65' 6-Dipankar Roy), 9-Alvito D'Cunha; 30-Edmilson Marques Pardal, 25-Ashim Biswas

Referee: S Suresh (Tamil Nadu)
Assistent Referees: Deepak Singh Bisht (Delhi), A Arjunan (Services)
Fourth Official: ...

Yellow Cards: none

Attendance: unknown

Match report:
East Bengal Club beat city rivals Mohammedan Sporting Club 3-1 in their pre-quarterfinal match of the 29th Federation Cup at the floodlit Guru Nanak Stadium in Ludhiana. East Bengal will meet local side JCT in a match between two former champions in the quarterfinals on Sunday. East Bengal had to overcome some anxious moments, but then rather easily beat a young and inexperienced Mohammedan Sporting side.

Both teams made a slow start into the match taking a rather wait and watch approach before the game slowly picked-up. East Bengal had a goal disallowed in the 11th minute when a Syed Rahim Nabi cross from the right was headed on, Nasibul Haque is able to keep the ball out, but an opportunistic Edmilson is there to tap in. Sadly for the red-and-gold the assistant referee wrongly disallowed the goal for an offside which wasn't one. Thereafter Sporting did try their luck but their lack of sting in their attack could be seen. East Bengal took the lead in the 21st minute when another of those Syed Rahim Nabi crosses from the right was met with a placed header by Ashim Biswas. East Bengal had chances to double their lead, but wasted some good chances and had to pay the price in the third minute of injury time when Mohammedan Sporting scored a surprising equaliser off a counter attack. Nigerian Paul Macjames Nwachukwu did the spade work and took an attempt on goal which goalkeeper Subrata Pal could only block and Kalia Kulothungan was there to score off the rebound.

After the breather East Bengal again took the lead in the 51st minute when Alvito D'Cunha played the ball to Ashim Biswas on the left flank, whose cross was headed in by Edmilson Marques Pardal. Sporting's Kulothungan tried his best to get his side once more on level terms but failed on both occasions. East Bengal sealed the match in the 66th minute when C Shameel tried to clear an Alvito D'Cunha pass for Edmilson, but he actually laid the ball for the Brazilian who beat keeper Nasibul Haque. Mohammedan Sporting had their best chance of the second half in the 81st minute when Kulothungan played the ball into the middle just outside the box and Adebayo Tokunbo Adewusi's sharp shot hit the right post and then Subrata Pal, also hitting Saumik Dey before finally Subrata Pal gets his hands onto the ball. Edmilson could have completed his hattrick in injury time, but his placed shot goes over.